Beautiful Aila Marie made her debut on Thursday, May 9, 2013 promptly at 1:30 pm. The first things I noticed were her full head of dark hair and her pretty eyes.
 |
| Managing a smile in between contractions... |
 |
| The nurses thought she was a hispanic baby! |
 |
| So peaceful |
 |
| Proud Daddy |
 |
| Love her profile |
I was induced that morning at 3 days overdue. Everything went smoothly and it was really convenient scheduling it and arranging for someone to watch Abram. I was emotional putting Abram to bed the night before and saying goodbye to him that morning, knowing it wouldn't be just the two of us at home anymore. I started out at 3+cm/70% effaced (I had been 3-4 cm for weeks). My nurse started Pitocin at 8:30, my midwife broke my water shortly after, we walked the halls and outside on their little patio for a while (quite the contrast from looking out the window at a blizzard when I had Abram!), I used the birthing ball for a little while, and then I asked to be checked at about 11:30. I was 6 cm so I decided to get my epidural as planned. Ben was a great support while I was in labor and I loved having that time with him at the hospital before she was born. My epidural ended up only working on one side, so the anesthesiologist had to pull the catheter back a little and it ended up helping (the same thing happened with Abram), which I was relieved about...feeling labor on only one side is so weird and I'd say even worse than feeling it on both (plus I had to lay down since I had the epidural, which doesn't help labor pains at all!)...anyway, I finally got comfortable, at which point I was completely dilated and ready to push! A few minutes and about 3 pushes later, baby Aila came into the world! I was so happy to hold her in my arms. She nursed for almost a full hour...my milk came in pretty quick and she was back up to birth weight within 4 days. Nursing has been a dream this time around, as well as recovery--physically and mentally.
 |
| Home from the hospital |
Her pregnancy, on the other hand, had many difficult times. To make it short, threatened miscarriage at the beginning, severe pelvic pain throughout, and a six-week long sinus-infection-of-death that finally cleared up right before I gave birth were not pleasant, but one of the blessings of it all is realizing how well I feel now, even though I'm tired. I remember talking to my mom when Aila was two weeks old and telling her I felt better than I'd felt in months!
It feels so right to have Aila in our family. I'm still adjusting to taking care of two little ones, but amidst the frustrations and overwhelm, I am experiencing some of the most joyous times of my life so far. I feel so blessed to be a mother and to have a knowledge of the importance and eternal nature of families.
1 comment:
She is so beautiful! I can't believe you have two now! For some reason its more strange to me than when you had Abram. Don't ask why. I hope the transition has been smooth. I've heard there's a bit of a learning curve but most people love going from 1 to 2 the best. Congratulations! You make some darn cute kids!
Post a Comment