KID NOTES
May 2018-September 2018
Me frustrated at dinner table (Ben gone, Abram and Aila lots of potty talk and Emerson threw food on floor) and Emerson says to me, “Mommy, just be happy!”
“Mom, is jack sad?” Gives him a hug
Me, “Emerson, are you tired?” “No, I’m not. I’m just happy.” Or “I don’t want to take a nap! I’m just happy!”
Me picking up Emerson with a sort of grunt, Emerson, “mom, are you heavy??”
Adam had earphones in. Emerson, “mom, does Adam have ear wax??”
Emerson pulling a string around the house and asking me to pet his puppy
Emerson meowing and pretending he’s a kitty cat
Emerson, after watching Jake and Daniels hockey game, “Mama, when I get bigger can I play hockey with Jake and Daniel? It will be fun. And I will fall down.!”
Home from Utah and the kids went crazy once we got inside! Everyone running around, Aila, “Mom! I forgot we had stairs and I have a whole new room!!” Then she started dancing and singing, “a whole new house...!” (We had just listened to Disney’s a whole new world in the car) Bub was so excited to see all his buddies in his crib. His two puppies, one doggie, lion, and “snoopy-dog”. They all had a blast in Utah but they were so happy and content to get in their own beds.
Upon seeing a bulging diaper: “Emerson, are you poopy?” “No!! I’m not!” “Are you wet?” “No, I just has gas!”
Emerson, almost daily, “Mommy, do you has a baby in your belly?”
Today, Emerson, in referring to my belly, “Mommy, is your baby happy?”
It’s past midnight and tonight has me up in a whirlwind of thoughts. The fact of Ben finishing his third wee-morning-hours-Skype interview with Abu Dhabi this morning has my pregnant brain going crazy. I can’t help but feel like we are going to move there. But what about timing? I’m due with this baby in just over 3 months...the same time our lease is up on this rental home, the same time the kids will be starting school, just after Erik’s wedding and possibly soon before Mika’s wedding..? I like to plan ahead and it’s driving me crazy not knowing our plan. Today a friend gave me boxes of baby girl clothes and I’m not sure if I should keep any cold weather clothing. Abu Dhabi is...hot. But would we be bringing anything with us anyway? Or just selling all we own before moving there? But deep down I have faith that Heavenly Father will guide us and it will all work out. I have the thought that maybe a blessing in disguise from all our possessions being burned and forcing us to move 20 min across town was a little start to get us to “let go” of things and familiarity.
Emerson: frisbee=“schmis-mee" He absolutely loved playing frisbee while camping.
So proud of the kids for trying new things today at the Wade reunion. Abram and Aila both hiked up to timp cave all by themselves and with no complaining, plus had a blast actually touring the cave. Then at the Lindon pool all three kids went down the water slide several times (first time for all of them). Emerson would immediately say, “uh do again!!” And Aila would scream, “I did it! That was so fun!!” Abram also tried the Lily pad obstacle in the deep water. They’ve had a great time at the Wade reunion.
Aila lost her first tooth this morning! We first discovered it was loose while camping at Grover’s, and we predicted it would come out before we got home to Cali. It came out this morning while I vigorously brushed her teeth, just before we left Idaho to drive home.
Aila is on her third nose scrape of the summer. Just when one heals, the next one occurs.
Saw baby calves (less than a day old) at Ben's uncle's dairy in Idaho. Emerson enjoyed petting them but seemed concerned as he said about four times, “they want their mommies! Where are their mommies?” So cute that he picked up on that.
Aila’s first ballet class. “Mom, that was so fun! It was the BEST class ever!!”
Abram and Aila had a great first day of school. Abram was a little tentative about his new teacher but after school said, “I didn’t think I’d like her but I actually do!” He was excited about the French word search puzzle they did and that he was the first to finish. He also told me on the way to school how he and his buddies always plan out their sports for the year on the first day of school. Aila was tired after but happy to show me her beautiful drawings. She told me, “I had the BEST DAY EVER!” Her cuteness in her uniform with her twisty side hair braid and rosy cheeks just melted me today. It was so cute to hear them discussing their day in the back of the van on the way home from school. Abram had all sorts of advice for Aila about friends, cubbies, French words and songs, etc. I have really loved summer vacation and not having to rush them out of the house for school. They’ve spent a lot of time together imagining and playing (along with Emerson) and I love what great friends they are. They both said they looked for each other at lunch recess but weren’t able to find each other. Abram was very specific about where he’d be so Aila can find him tomorrow. Feeling grateful! Emerson didn't want to miss out and seemed to have the need to tell lots of people in public today how big or tall he is—at the doctor, Trader Joe’s, etc...doesn’t want to be the "baby" anymore.
Aila talks about the new baby every day. She loves the name butterfly and loves to talk about where she will sleep, etc. Loves looking through the baby clothes and pointing out every detail—little bows or lace. I can’t wait to see her little face light up the first time she sees her baby sister.
Getting ready for Erik/Shannon's wedding: Aila wearing her flower girl dress, “it looks like I’m the one getting married because I’m wearing a white dress!” Then Bub comes over and holds her hand. “Aila, let’s get murr-ied!!” (clearly they have practiced getting married during imaginative play at home)
During the reception, Bub jumped up and down almost the entire time (when he wasn't on an uncle's shoulders). Had the time of his life.
Abram, referring to the boogie board, “I wonder why they named it after a booger!”
Just finished lunch and Bub is looking very tired. But keeps saying “mom I’m just happy. I’m just always happy." (meaning he doesn't want to take a nap)
Abram is up early every morning and usually spends time reading before we eat breakfast. This morning Emerson was up with him and so Abram read books to him, including a French one where Abram read it in French and then, without skipping a beat, translated it into English and told Emerson what it meant. So so cute. And I’m impressed how quickly he can translate.
Abram’s French teacher is going to be gone the next two days and she designated Abram to be the translator for the class because the sub doesn’t speak very good English, and there are a couple students who are new to the school.
Aila spends nearly every waking minute crafting, coloring, or drawing. She frequently makes something (drawing or necklace, etc) for a friend at school and brings it with her the next day. This girl always has new and exciting ideas! Love to see her big brown eyes light up when she tells me about them.
Me to all the kids: “Are you excited for the new baby?”
Abram: “no, because I wish it was a BOY! Actually yes because then I’ll have Emerson all to myself because Aila will have the baby.”
Aila: “I’m more excited than anyone else!”
Emerson: kisses and pats my belly every day, “I’m going to share my green bouncy ball with the baby!”
Aila just adores all the baby clothes and points out every little bow and heart and ruffle... 

Emerson lately has insisted on being called "Emerson" instead of Bub or Emer or "My sweet" as I sometimes call him. So I've made a concerted effort in doing just so. Only now, as of the last week, he insists on being called, "Emerson Finn." He'll say, "No, I'm not Bubba! I'm Emerson Finn!"
Today Emerson pooped and peed in his potty for the first time!! Bribing him with gum may have helped. He was so proud of himself. We were too!!
No comments:
Post a Comment