9.17.2012

Catching Up: Summer Tidbits

I always dreamed of living close to my grandparents.  Never in my life did I think I would, but those dreams came true when we moved to CA!  We're only an hour (or less) drive away from Napa, CA where my mom's parents live (and it's one of the THE most beautiful drives ever among all the vineyards and wineries).  Abram is their only great-grandchild so far, and he is so lucky to be able to get to know them.
They're such good sports to play with him when we visit!  It didn't take him long to warm up to them, of course, and now he gives them kisses when we say goodbye.  :)


In June, Abram and I got to drive down to Napa to celebrate my Grandma's birthday!


We went to eat at a fun Mexican Restaurant.  Abram was so well behaved.
My aunt Lesley, cousin Weston, uncle Brett, and aunt Jessica were there too (my Grandpa had to be at a scout meeting).


She opened presents and we had yummy ice cream cake afterwards.
Abram gets to follow in his mother and uncle's footsteps and play in the rocks in Grandma & Grandpa's backyard (and we do our best to keep the rocks out of the bird bath so Grandpa doesn't have to fish them out later, haha.  :)


Happy birthday, dear Grandma!
What a wonderful life full of love and service she has led and continues to lead.  I admire her so much and am so grateful I get to live close by right now!  My Grandma & Grandpa's house still feels, looks, and smells magical to me.  I have so many wonderful memories there.


Abram has also loved getting to know his great uncle Brett.  :)

At the beginning of July, we went camping...for 24 hours.

My mom's family has gone camping at Grover Hot Springs in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (just South of Tahoe) for decades.  
My first time there was over my 2nd birthday.
My family went as often as we could while I was growing up, and Ben and I have now gone a few times since we've been married...and Abram even went this year too.
...although afterward, I called it first AND last camping trip, haha.
The first night, he woke up around 10pm and would NOT go back to sleep until 4am, despite everything we tried...  Easily the worst night since the night we brought him home from the hospital!  It was crazy.
Ben had to leave camping early anyway to be back for work, so Abram and I ended up leaving early too.
We'll try the camping thing again next year...maybe. :)

We did have fun during our short time there though.  I wish I would've gotten more pictures, but my mind was a little blurry...



The typical hackey-sacking...


Abram trying to get in on the fun.


Relaxing in Uncle Brett's ginormous camping chair.


Abram was so tired, poor thing, but luckily he had uncles to keep him happy.


My brothers loved playing hackey-sack with Ben.

On the actual day of July 4th, we drove down to Livermore, CA where Ben's Uncle Mike, Aunt Vicki, and cousin Jamie & her husband Jason live.  We had a delicious BBQ in their lovely backyard.  Abram loved playing in the kiddie pool (again, I forgot to take pictures!).  We're loving being close to our extended families!

3 comments:

Kara Anderson said...

That is so neat that you get to see your grandparents often. I'm sure they absolutely love it. They might not have had much time to get to know Abram if you hadn't moved to Cali. I CAN'T believe that boy was up until 4 am! I'm glad we didn't go camping this year. We really wanted to but I was so nervous about Jack not sleeping. I miss your pretty face ;)

The Lilly's said...

I'm sure all the family get togethers are that much more fun with Abram around. I'm so glad my parents are getting the chance to spend time with him... and you and Ben too, of course!

melissa said...

that is so awesome you can be close to grandparents! what a treat. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! abram is adorable.