1.24.2012

Abram is One!

Yesterday while Abram was napping, I was just enjoying spending time in the kitchen
and had this thought that I'm living my dream.
I'm a housewife to a wonderful husband and a stay-at-home mom to the sweetest little boy;
Just what I always dreamed of.
--At least, ever since the age of four when I started helping my mom (at least I thought I was helping) change diapers and give bottles--
Then Abram woke up and was happy to see me and we snuggled in the rocking chair.
It was definitely one of those "everything-is-right-in-the-world!" moments.

With the start of a new year and Abram turning one, I've had a lot of reflective moments about the past year.  It's still overwhelming to think of all the responsibility I have as a mother, but I am so grateful I get to be Abram's mother; so grateful for how he helps me to become better; so grateful for his pure joy, sweet innocence, and zeal for learning and discovering.

Stats from his 12-month check-up:
Weight:  20 lbs. 7 oz. (16%)
Height:  30 in. (58%)

He loves:  His sippy (with water),
strawberries, oranges, peas, plain yogurt
his aunts and uncles (especially the youngest!),
anything we're eating (especially with a "big boy" spoon),
walking with his push-toy, his blankies, being tickled, turning pages, ripping toilet paper, babbling expressively (it seems like he asks/answers questions), peek-a-boo, cozying with daddy, knocking down towers, eating cords, pressing buttons on computers or phones, climbing the stairs (up and down),
and above all,
BATH TIME!
The only words I can really pick out are "ma-ma-ma-mam" (usually when he wants something :), and sometimes he'll say a quick "yeah-" when we ask him a question.
He does NOT love:  Getting his diaper changed!  More often than not, he ends up crawling away half naked.  :)

He is becoming less shy and more social (I think our trip to UT helped with that).  As we sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office this week, he sat quietly on my lap observing all the other children in the room, but after about 5 minutes, he started babbling at and gesturing to a couple little girls by us.  It was so cute!
He also became fast friends with a few ladies sitting by us on the plane back from Utah.  :)

We got to celebrate his birthday with our families in Utah!  For his birthday treat, he got his very own plate of strawberries, and he couldn't have been happier.



I may make this "Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake" again for V-Day and post it on my blog.  The frosting was especially good...if I do say so myself.  :)




Sweet, sweet boy.


Poor kid was tired AND got bonked on the head!

The clan (minus Josef in China, Erik in Indo, Ali in Vegas, and Jordon/Brittany/Kensie in IN)


Abram, I can't believe you are one whole year old!  I am so happy you're in our family.
Thanks for letting me kiss you and kiss you and kiss you every day,
and for being my buddy while daddy's gone,
and for listening to me sing.
And for letting me call you 
Mr. Abram, 
My Little Explorer, 
My Bitty Baby, 
Abram-boy, 
Handsome Boy,
and Sweet Baby...
even though you're not really a baby anymore!
I love you so much.

6 comments:

Janice Eide said...

I loved seeing pictures of Abram's first birthday. How fun to celebrate with both sets of grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. You and Ben are fortunate to have such a blessing in your lives. He is even more blessed to have two wonderful, loving parents. I love you all.
Grandma

Kara Anderson said...

That cake looks divine! You MUST post it on your blog. I've love watching Abram grow and change. He's such a sweetie. Aren't little boys so fun?! They really are your little buddy all day long. I can't believe it was a year ago you had him! Where does time go? Did you cry at all? I get sad just imagining Jack grow up. I love all the pictures of the family! Your brothers have grown so much too! What an amazing group of people.

flyingFinn said...

Beautiful. The whole family. I. Miss. You. All. LOTS.
Love,
Josef

Brittany said...

Aw, happy birthday Abram! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you guys!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Little Abram- how sad I am that you are growing up so fast! Stop so I can meet you as a baby, ok? (even if it is a walking baby!) You are a wonderful mother and I am so happy for you and your little family. Knowing you are so happy warms my heart (corny, I know, but your blog music is making me feel especially centimental, ok?) Happy Birthday little guy! Tell your mom to post that cake recipe!!!

Jaci said...

Well, I must be having an emotional day... looking at your cute blog for almost 30 minutes now left me in tears! What the heck??! The kind of tears that grandmas shed as their babies are half way across the country. But you are only a sidewalk away from me! lol!

You are such a darling mother Kristin. I love how you have captured moments of Abram's life and shared it on your blog. You and him are both so sweet and gentle. (I don't know if Ben is that way-- I don't know him well enough yet). :)

Thank you for the invite to your blog. I am so thankful to have met you guys on this Minnesota journey.