We've all been there...monster.com, careerbuilder.com, and on and on until exhaustion. Tweaking adjectives on your resume to better fit job postings becomes a game you play as you drive about daily errands. For the past few weeks searching for a new job in Minnesota has become my quest.
I started by searching major health systems, hospitals, and clinics in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Some of the large systems had a number of RN jobs posted and I applied. Much to my dismay, my first 8 of 10 applications were rejected due to "electronic prescreening!" Ironically, each department insists on applicants having prior experience in that particular department; so how is anyone going to set foot into any department in the first place?! I was expecting an easy transition over to my next enjoyable job, just like the first time when I signed on with IHC in Labor and Delivery right out of college.
With all that said, there's got to be a better way to find a job. And so I'm asking you, my blog readers, for any connections. Do any of you happen to have any connections to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? I know a lot of times the best way to find new jobs is through connections. Most job posititions are filled even before they are advertised; they're filled internally, becuase so and so knew so and so who recommended so and so to the manager. If you happen to know any of these "so and sos" please put my name out there. It doesn't have to be restricted to people working directly in hospitals or other health care settings. A computer technician might have a friend who needs a nurse or a school teacher might have a neighbor who runs a local clinic.
Thanks for your help!
4 comments:
Sorry, I know no one in Minnesota.
Good luck with the hunt. I can't believe they are requiring previous experience. Isn't there a great need for nurses? Silly.
I would call the unit's manager - make yourself become a person rather than a piece of paper. Or even go in. You want them to remember you! Good luck.
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, they're even cutting people's hours at my job... stupid economy. But... I have to tell you I love this picture of you and Ben at his graduation, especially that slightest hint of a belly bump!
And I thought nursing jobs were in demand. Definitely frustrating when they want applicants to have prior experience, but how are you suppose to have experience if no one will hire?! Good luck! Wish I had some connections in Minnesota.
Thanks for playing tennis. That was a lot of fun!
Good luck with everything!
Hey Scott told me you guys had a blog! I wish knew how to help with the job situation, I'm sure you'll find something great soon. By the way your cookies were amazing, and gone within 5 minutes haha. Thanks so much!!
Post a Comment