3.26.2010

What the future holds...

Ben and I are taking a big step into the unknown.

The
cold unknown.

We're headed to a place where the average annual temperature is 46 degrees Fahrenheit (this is not a typo),
a city sometimes "subjected to cold Arctic air masses..." (sound comfortable?),
and, therefore, the coldest of any metropolitan area in the U.S.

Any guesses? We'll spend our next two years in...

Minneapolis, Minnesooowata
(just sayin' it how they'd say it)!

Ben has been interviewing all over for MHA (Master's in Health Administration) programs, and we've selected University of Minnesota's program. Come August, we'll pack our bags and head to the Midwest.

Consequently, I've decided to put a big stop to my daydreams of us in North Carolina, where we were going to take day trips to the beach...and enjoy the rays all year long...and fall in love with that Southern accent...*sigh*

Despite spending my first 12 years in the Midwest and having 50% Finnish blood in me (at least my dad says that should help!), I am not a huge cold weather fan...obviously.

However, I am choosing to look at the positives (really, I am!). Cute Ben even gave me the power to "veto" the option of Minnesota to ensure my complete happiness, but of course I wouldn't let him (us) pass up this great opportunity, and I know he'll thrive in their program!

Anyway, in my research of Minneapolis, here's my top five facts:

1. Nicknamed "City of Lakes" (it has over 20).
2. Named America's Most Literate City for its cultural organizations/arts (theater, visual art, writing, and music).
3. Houses the Mall of America (we're not huge shoppers, but it could be fun!).
4. Has a metro system, not to mention skyway system (enclosed bridges that go from building to building for eight blocks so you don't have to go outside!).
5. Has an amazing parks system that connects all the lakes with biking/walking/jogging paths, where people go swimming, fishing, boating, picnicking, and ice skating.

So, when those "cold, Arctic air masses" come, I'll just adopt the last line of the Mary Tyler Moore show theme: "You're go-onna make it after a-all..." (The show was filmed in Minneapolis...Mom, I'll get a picture by her statue for you).

Here's to us as future Minnesotans!

What the heck, GO GOPHERS!



10 comments:

The Lilly's said...

Those were a lot of cool facts about Minneapolis, it sounds like a cool city...(Literally and figuratively). We sure will miss you guys when you move. Can't wait to see you in Cal in 2 weeks, I'm so excited for Ben to see Napa!

Sarah said...

Good luck with the move. We will miss you at work for sure!

Erik Kujanpaa said...

If your ice skating skills haven't at LEAST tripled by the time you guys are done living there, there is a BIG problem.

Melissa said...

Yay for the Midwest! I have liked it out here much more than I thought I would! Jess's grandma is in Minneapolis so we may head up there this summer!

Elizabeth O. said...

That is so exciting. You guys are embarking on a new adventure together and that's great. Congrats to Ben on getting into the programs. Hope the plans continue to set up well as you look for housing and jobs. Can't wait to see you again at work.

Nancy said...

Kristin!! oh my gosh what an adventure! You thought finally getting out of Rexburg would be the end of 8 months of winter, but no you were wrong! ha ha!! I am so excited for you and Ben. I guess that just means, Lisa, Merrilee, chels, Tania,Nikki, and I will have to have another vacation and come and visit you. love you lots!

The Ducketts said...

my brother lived there and loved it...so maybe you will fall in love too. Can't believe you will be joining the ranks of the few normals that are leaving me at work. You will have to check in on me from time to time. Im excited for your new adventure...Im a little jealous...

Benji and Aubrey said...

Benji has said before that he wants to move to Minnesota...but alas, I am not as brave as you are. The cold weather scares the dickens out of me!

Congrats on an exciting new adventure!

Erica said...

Kristin! I found your blog!! It's exciting that you're headed to Minnesota! We're in California and Blake's in dental school at USC - we love it!! I'd love to keep in touch! My blog is private but email me at ericabybee@gmail.com and I'll add you!

Kallista said...

That will be a fun new adventure! My cousin is in Minneapolis on a mission and really enjoying it. Good luck getting ready to move!